White Cupcakes with Strawberry Lime Buttercream – I needed to try out a vanilla cupcake recipe, and I had limes and strawberries that needed to be used. I LOVE the Strawberry Limeade drink from Sonic, so I thought this would be a good combo…and it was! Instead of making vanilla cupcakes, I use Almond Extract, so almond cupcakes, I guess? And they were delicious!!
The buttercream wasn’t perfect, but it was good. It could have been less tart…that would just depend on your sweet/tart liking and how sweet your strawberries are.
White Cupcakes with Strawberry Limeade Buttercream
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear almond extract
- 4 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
2. Mix cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
3. Beat softened butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. 4. Beat in flour mixture, milk, almond extract and eggs on medium speed until blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
4. Beat 2 minutes longer.
5. Divide batter evenly into cupcake pan.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
(Makes about 2 cups)
- 1 stick of butter
- 2-3 cups of confectioner’s sugar, based on “juicyness” of strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lime zest
- 1/4 c. strawberries, pureed and then strained.
1. Using a mixer, beat the butter until it is nice and fluffy.
2. Add in the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla, continue to mix till smooth.
3. Using a zester, zest the whole lime.
4. Mix the lime zest and strawberry puree with the buttercream.
5. Cut the lime in half and squeeze out the lime juice.
6. Add the lime juice with the buttercream and mix well.
White Cupcakes with Strawberry Lime Buttercream