West Coast Grilled Vegetable Pizza – Mmmm…we LOVE this pizza. The first time we made it, we were very skeptical. Who makes pizza on a grill?! But now we are believers! And we haven’t varied from our original favorite. It takes a little practice to get the dough cooked correctly on a grill, but it is so worth it.
I forgot to buy the goat cheese when I first tried this recipe, but I had mozzarella, so that’s what I used. I haven’t ever tried it with goat cheese, always mozzarella. I’m sure the goat cheese would be very tasty, though!!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- All-purpose flour, for shaping dough
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, fresh, or thawed if frozen
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise (I always use cherry tomatoes and slice them thinly. It takes some time, but I enjoy it
- 2 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 1 log (5 ounces) soft goat cheese, crumbled (I use 5 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed. Goat cheese would definitely soften faster.)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1. Heat grill to medium.
2. Brush a large rimless baking sheet (or an inverted rimmed sheet) with 1 tablespoon oil.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll and stretch dough to two 8-inch ovals or rounds. (I make 4 rounds, for 2 meals.)
4. Transfer to prepared sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil. (I don’t do this.)
5. Transfer dough to grill. Cook, without turning over, until undersides are firm and begin to char, 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs and a large spatula, place crusts on baking sheet, grilled side up.
6. Scatter crusts with tomatoes, scallion whites, and cheese; season with salt and pepper, and slide back onto grill.
7. Cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and cheese begins to melt, 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Transfer to a cutting board.
9. In a medium bowl, combine spinach, avocado, scallion greens, vinegar, and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
10. Pile mixture onto pizzas; halve, and serve.