French Toast with Eggs – Yum! My husband and I look forward to every Saturday and Sunday morning. We have this french toast every weekend. We are creatures of habit, that is for sure. And breakfast is definitely a favorite of mine.
I originally found this recipe from my Everyday Food magazine (which is my favorite food magazine).
Banana French Toast
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (skim)
- 1 large egg (I use two eggs)
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar (I use closer to 2 tbsp.)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread (We use potato bread.)
- 1 banana (This is not a staple for us.)
- 4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
2 eggs for Sunny Side Up eggs
In a large shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together milk, egg, sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
Dip bread, one slice at a time, into egg mixture, pressing down so bread absorbs liquid. In a large nonstick skillet (I use an electric griddle), melt butter over medium heat (once the griddle is hot, I just smear the stick until the griddle is covered). Place all 4 slices in skillet; cook 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, cut banana crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Divide bread between two plates; top with banana and syrup.
I also serve with Sunny Side Eggs on top. Delish!