Spinach Blue Cheese Bacon Mini Quiche – Secret Recipe Club took some time off (at least my group did) and I definitely missed it!! I love looking through all of the posts, receiving a new blog, going through that blog, finding a recipe…you get the idea. It’s such fun and a great way to find new blogs and bloggers.
For the month of January, La Phemme Phoodie was my assigned blog and I may or may not have squealed a little upon opening up her site. Her photography is beautiful. Before I even looked at recipes, I drooled over the photos. Then I finally went back to search for a recipe. Wendy is a lawyer and finds time to fit in her blog. She has so many great recipes (duh) that as usual, I had a hard time narrowing it down.
I finally settled on this blue cheese bacon quiche, immediately knowing that I wanted to make them into individual mini quiches so that I could freeze several of them. I was curious as to how the blue cheese would go with the egg based quiche and I have to say that I was surprised in the best of ways! The sharp and creamy blue cheese paired beautifully with the eggs and the fresh spinach. Everything just melded together so wonderfully to create a rich dish. As Wendy discussed in her blog post, it’s important to use good quality ingredients here, especially the blue cheese. It will make a world of difference. Also, be careful when salted this dish, bacon is salty and so in the cheese. These would be great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!
Spinach Blue Cheese Bacon Mini Quiche
For the crust:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine the butter, cream cheese, and flour until pea size balls form.
2. Place mixture onto large piece of plastic wrap and fold over onto itself to form a disc. Wrap tightly and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before use.
For the quiche filling:
- ½ lb. (~8 slices) bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 oz. Maytag or other good quality blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 9 oz. bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Place miniature tart or quiche pans on a foil lined baking sheet; set aside.
2. Remove pastry dough from refrigerator and divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle and place onto tart pan. Press dough into pan well, removing excess dough from the edges. Repeat with remaining 5 portions.
3. Scatter cooked bacon pieces over the bottom of each crust. Divide cheese evenly over bacon topped crust.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Place chopped spinach into pan and cook until wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated, tossing often, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and when cool enough to handle, remove any excess liquid (a potato ricer works great for this).
5. In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, spinach, and spices. Slowly pour or ladle liquid mixture over the bacon and cheese. (Do not fill to top of quiches.)
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let quiche rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.