Smoky Beef Tacos – This is one of those meals that truly makes my mouth water when I think about it. Smoky, savory, and slightly spicy beef paired with guacamole and other choice toppings (we like red onion and tomato) all on a warm tortilla. Yum!
While this meal comes together easily and the prep is relatively fast, it does need almost 3 hours to reach a really tender and flavorful point. It may not be ideal for a quick weeknight meal but when it’s made on a weekend or a free afternoon, the leftovers are even more wonderful! This really reheats beautifully and can be enjoyed for a few meals.
The original recipe comes from Everyday Food. Each time that I make this I find that there is not enough cooking liquid toward the end of the cooking time – about the last 45 minutes. I add 8 oz tomato sauce plus 1 cup of water and that always makes the perfect amount of liquid for serving and storing.
Also, the recipe only calls for a few tablespoons of chipotle chiles in adobo so I freeze what is leftover and use it for other recipes or to make this again. Enjoy!!
Smoky Beef Tacos
Adapted from Everyday Food
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- ~3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, excess fat trimmed
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce + 1 cup water
- corn or flour tortilla (6 inch size)
- desired toppings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, stir together chiles, ketchup, 1 cup water, garlic, oregano, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
2. Cut beef into 4 equal pieces and add to the pot, turning to coat. Cover and bring to a boil, then transfer pot to oven.
3. Bake, covered, until beef is fork-tender, 2 1/2-3 hours. After 2 hours, check pot for cooking liquid and add tomato sauce and 1 cup of water, if needed.
4. Transfer beef to a bowl and with a large spoon skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid. Shred beef with two forks and moisten with cooking liquid as needed.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve beef with warm tortillas and desired toppings.