Slow Cooker Korean Shredded Beef Tacos – I’m such a sucker for tacos. My favorite local place for tacos is Taqueria del Sol. They have amazing brisket tacos, delicious guacamole, and outstanding margaritas. You have to stand in line, sometimes in the cold, wind, and rain, but it’s so worth it. We actually missed most of a Braves game that we were going to in order to eat at this restaurant. Again, totally worth it.
When I saw these on Confections of a Foodie Bride, I knew that I would love them and that they wouldn’t disappoint. I was definitely not wrong about that! These tacos are amazing. They are flavorful in a different sort of way for us. The brown sugar makes them slightly sweet, the soy brings the salt, and the other spices round everything out. With the addition of bean sprouts, cilantro, lime, and a little Greek yogurt, these tacos touch on every facet of your taste buds.
When I was at the grocery store there were no short ribs out, which is what the original recipe calls for, so I used a roast cut. I’m sure that the butcher would have packaged some up but I was in a hurry and didn’t want to wait. I thought that the roast cut of beef was delicious but short ribs would definitely be phenomenal.
Slow Cooker Korean Shredded Beef Tacos
For the beef: 5 lbs. beef short ribs or any roast cut
- 1 (10 oz.) bottle low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 tbsp. ginger, grated
- 6 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
- ~1 cup water (optional)
For the cucumber slaw:
- 1 cucumber (seedless recommended)
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- small tortillas
- bean sprouts
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Lime slices
1. To make the cucumber slaw, slice the cucumber very thinly and sprinkle with salt. (The slicing can be done on a mandolin.) Place the cucumber slices in a colander set over a bowl and allow to sit for 1 hour. Shake additional water from the colander and pat the cucumber slices with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
2. Transfer cucumber slices to a bowl and toss with red onions, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Leftovers will become less crunchy over time. Pour off any accumulated liquid when serving leftovers and toss with an additional 1-2 teaspoons vinegar to taste, if necessary.)
3. To make the Korean beef for the tacos, spray your slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray and add the beef.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar with the garlic, ginger, and oils. Pour over the ribs in the slow cooker. If liquid level looks low, add about 1 cup of water. Cook on low for 8 hours.
5. To serve, shred the meat with two forks and toss with a small amount of the cooking liquid. Warm the tortillas and top with beef, cucumber slaw, cilantro, bean sprouts, Greek yogurt, and lime.