Santa Fe Chicken Salad – When I came across this recipe in Elly’s blog, I just knew that I had to have it. It had so many components that I love. Chicken, salad ingredients, avacado, yum!!! And believe it or not, I’ve never made or had a tequile lime/margarita chicken. I know, I know…
It is such a yummy marinade for the chicken. This is something I will use again and again. And not just for the salad. It’s delicious!!!
Her inspiration was a blogging challenge raising awareness for osteoporisis. Well thank goodness for that event!!! And what a neat idea. Thanks Elly!
Santa Fe Chicken Salad
Tequila Lime Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4.5 oz. each)
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. Tequila
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice (I didn’t have orange juice, so I used triple sec….hee, hee)
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper
1. Combine the lime juice and zest, tequila, orange juice, canola oil, spices and garlic and whisk together.
2. Pour into a dish or resealable bag along with the chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes – 2 hours (any longer and the acid in the citrus could start to “cook” the chicken).
3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and then grill or saute the chicken, basting with the marinade, until cooked through (about 4-5 minutes per side).
Nutritional information per piece, if consuming all marinade (which, you probably won’t): Calories: 225 / Fat: 7g / Carbs: 4g / Protein: 29g
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 heaping Tbsp. sour cream (Omitted)
- 2 Tbsp. ranch dressing
- hot sauce (optional) (Omitted)
1. Combine all ingredients (and a few dashes of hot sauce, if you’d like) and refrigerate as you make the rest of the salad.
- 3-4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/3 cup cheddar jack cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar because that’s what I had!)
- 2 corn tortillas (I used blue corn tortilla chips because I had them.)
- cooking spray
1. Cut the corn tortillas into squares and spray with oil.
2. Bake at 350 in your oven (or toaster oven, as I like to use for these small jobs) until crispy.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Toss with the dressing and then stir in the crispy corn tortillas.
5. Top with chicken.