Restaurant Style Queso Dip – This is the blog post that several people have been waiting for! Queso dip is definitely a favorite appetizer for many people and not something that I’d ever made at home. Really, this wasn’t something that I ever even wanted to make at home. This is one of those dishes that I actually look forward to eating at a restaurant. It’s not exactly a healthy item so I save it. It’s special.
Well, when I saw this on Annie’s blog, I knew that I would eventually cave and make this at home. Truth be told, I was waiting for an excuse to make this. That excuse came in the form of chicken enchiladas. I thought if I was going to make a Mexican inspired dish, I might as well go all out and make this queso dip to go with it.
I promise you won’t be disappointed with this appetizer. (Or side dish.) It’s definitely as good, and probably better, than any queso dip I’ve ever had at any restaurant. It’s smooth, creamy, cheesy, and just…delicious. You can make it spicy if you want with more jalapeño peppers, or you can add additional cilantro. But really, I think it’s perfect the way the recipe is written below.
*Note: You should be able to find white American cheese at the deli counter of your grocery store. Also, heat a dish while making the dip so that it is ready to be served in. I used a Brie dish that is oven safe to serve the queso.
Restaurant Style Queso Dip
- 1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, very finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- 12 oz. white American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4-2/3 cup milk
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, minced (more or less to taste)
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add the onion and jalapeño to the pan. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in both cheeses. Add in 1/4 cup of the milk. Whisk until all of the cheese is melted.
3. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Add milk if need to reach the desired consistency.
4. Serve in a warmed serving bowl. Serve immediately.