Pumpkin Walnut Bread – My mother-in-law gave me a subscription to Gourmet magazine. This is probably the third month. There are always really interesting recipes and articles, but I have been too chicken to try any of their recipes!
Until now, that is!! I saw this recipe for Pumpkin Walnut Bread and had to have it! I’ve never made pumpkin bread, so I figured now was a good time to start. 🙂
The bread was very moist but I felt like it lacked in flavor. It wasn’t very sweet and was just a little…dull. 🙁 It’s not horrible, but not really a keeper. The recipe could definitely be worked on.
Pumpkin Walnut Bread
from Gourmet Magazine
- 2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (2 3/4 ounces) water
- 1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 cup (9 ounces) canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup neutral-flavor vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (4 ounces) chopped toasted walnuts
9 by 5-inch Loaf Pan, Parchment Paper, Large Bowl, Whisk, Medium Bowl, Silicone or Rubber Spatula, Cooling Rack, Serrated Knife.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and position an oven rack in the center.
2. Lightly coat the loaf pan with melted butter or high-heat canola-oil spray and line it with a piece of parchment paper that extends 1 inch beyond the edge of both sides of the pan.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, and salt until thoroughly blended.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and water. Add the sugar and blend well. Add the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract and blend well.
5. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until blended and smooth.
6. Add the walnuts and stir until they are evenly distributed. Use a spatula to scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and level the top.
7. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until the bread is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
8. To serve, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices by sawing gently with a serrated knife.
9. Any leftovers should be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pumpkin Walnut Bread freezes beautifully for up to 8 weeks when double-wrapped in plastic and placed inside a resealable plastic freezer bag. Defrost, still wrapped in plastic to avoid condensation on the cake, for at least 2 hours before serving.
Pumpkin Walnut Bread