Old Fashioned Beef Stew – I love, love, love beef stew. It reminds me of growing up in cold Michigan and of my dad! He made the best beef stew. This is a good recipe, but for me, it doesn’t compare to his!
This comes from the Better Homes & Garden’s cookbook – yes, the red checkered one. It’s a classic!
I did make a couple of changes, and they are in red.
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Better Homes & Gardens cookbook
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cubed potato (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans (Omitted.)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot (2 medium)
- 1 cup frozen peas – Which I didn’t have and really missed!
**At the end, I thickened it with a little cornstarch and cooking liquid. We just like our stew pretty thick.**
1. Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil; drain fat. Stir in vegetable juice, water, onion, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, oregano, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until meat is nearly tender.
2. Stir in potato, green beans, corn, and carrot. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
3. Makes 5 servings (about 7 cups)
4. Slow-cooker directions: Prepare and brown meat as above. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker layer meat, onion, potatoes, green beans, corn, and carrot. Decrease vegetable juice to 2 cups. Combine vegetable juice, water, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, oregano, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf. Pour over meat and vegetables in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.