Mexican Cream Cheese Rice – I love white rice. There, I said. I have nothing against brown rice and I love it too, but sometimes I just want a giant bowl of steaming hot white rice. So how about you mix in cream cheese, tomatoes, corn, green chilies and a little cheddar cheese to go with it? You, my friend, will have a delicious side dish that will be gobbled up in no time to go with your tacos, enchiladas, taquitos…whatever.
I wish I had a great story to go along with this side dish, but I don’t. This was just a really good accompaniment to our dinner that I will definitely be making again.
Mexican Cream Cheese Rice
adapted from allrecipes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained & liquid reserved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the rice. Stir, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a small casserole dish.
3. Once the rice is cooked, stir in the cream cheese to melt. Then add the chilies, cheddar, corn, and drained tomatoes. Add tomato juice as needed for moisture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Transfer rice mixture to prepared casserole dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese in bubbling and lightly browned.
5. Top with sliced green onions before serving.