Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes – Who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? And who doesn’t have their preferred way to make it?
This recipe is very good and the tomatoes add an extra flavor and texture. We really liked this and it made for great leftovers!!
Macaroni and Cheese with Tomatoes
- 8 tomatoes
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, freshy grated
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsps Parsley
- Dash of Nutmeg
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- 5 tbsps flour
- 1 ½ tsps. dried thyme
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps butter
- Optional: breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice tomatoes about ¼ inch thick. Spread tomatoes in a single layer on baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp. dried thyme, salt to taste and chopped fresh parsley. Grind black pepper over. Bake until tomatoes have softened, approx. 20 minutes. Remove, but do not turn off oven.
2. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until just on the crunchy side of al dente, approx. 5 minutes (or per package directions).
3. Drain in a colander, and run under cold water to stop cooking.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour into ½ cup chicken stock.
5. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
6. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, and additional salt to taste.
7. Pour in milk and remaining chicken stock.
8. Whisk in flour mixture, and bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
9. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer.
10. Continue cooking approx. 8 minutes, whisking frequently.
11. Add cheese and cook, stirring with spoon, until cheese has melted.
12. Turn off burner, pour macaroni into pot, and stir to combine.
13. Line bottom of a 9 x 13 glass dish with a single layer of cooked, sliced tomatoes. Scoop up any loose juices on the sheets and pour those in the dish too.
14. Pour macaroni mixture over. Top with another layer of tomatoes.
15. If using, sprinkle breadcrumbs across top to your taste.
16. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, approx. 30 minutes. Serve immediately.