Late Summer Vegetable Soup – I love soup. I love soup all year round. It doesn’t matter if it’s freezing outside or if you could cook an egg on the sidewalk. I just love soup! Here is another winner!
Late Summer Vegetable Soup
- 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces green beans (stem ends removed), cut into thirds
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup orzo
1. Cut off tip of each ear of corn. One at a time, stand ears in a wide bowl. With a sharp knife, carefully slice downward to release kernels. Discard cobs; set kernels aside.
2. In a Dutch oven or 5-quart pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add zucchini, green beans, corn, tomatoes (with juice), and orzo; cook, uncovered, until orzo is tender, 8 to 11 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To freeze: Ladle 1 1/2 cups into each of six resealable plastic bags. Store flat in freezer, up to 3 months. Before reheating, thaw in refrigerator.