Hamburger Buns – For as much bread as I bake I figured that it was high time that I made hamburger buns at home, especially considering that grilling season is almost in full swing. I searched around a little bit before deciding on this recipe, mostly just because it sounded pretty straightforward.
The buns are tender but sturdy and bake up beautifully. They also make great garlic bread in a pinch and freeze like a dream. 😉 I see many of these in our future.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
1. In a small saucepan heat milk, water, & butter until very warm, about 120 degrees.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 1 3/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir to combine and then mix in the egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Switch to the dough hook when a cohesive mass forms and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces (a kitchen scale really helps here) and shape into smooth balls. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and flatten slightly. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
adapted from allrecipes.