Freezable Lemon Bars – This is one of those desserts that I’ve made so many times that I was sure I’d blogged about it at some point but I couldn’t find it anywhere in my blog posts. I must have discovered this delicious treat during my “hiatus” (a.k.a. pregnancy). 😉
Lemon bars, or some variation of that dessert, are one of those recipes that everyone should have a good one that they like to use. They are always well received and generally easy to throw together. I usually have everything on hand to make these and if I don’t, there aren’t that many ingredients on the list.
These are freezable but I’ve never frozen them. We always eat them way too quickly for that to happen. I have seen other bloggers say that they freeze really well, though.
Freezable Lemon Bars
- 1 pack graham crackers, crushed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, juice from about 2 lemons
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 heaping tbsp. powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F. In a small bowl, mix the graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter together. Press firmly into a 9x9x2-inch ungreased pan.
2. In another small bowl, beat the egg yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice on low-medium speed for one minute. Pour evenly over the crust and bake for about 30 minutes or until set.
3. To make the whipped cream, attached a whisk attachment to a mixer and whip until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the powdered sugar and whip again until firm peaks hold. Do not overbeat.
4. Remove the bars from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Once completely cooled, spread the whipped cream over the top.
5. If freezing, label a large freezer bag with the name, expiration date, and directions. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer bag. Freeze up to a month.
6. When ready to serve, let stand at room temperature after removing from the freezer for 30 minutes. Cut into bars. If not freezing, this can also be kept in the fridge for several days.
adapted from Pennies on a Platter, originally from Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms.
Freezable Lemon Bars