Creamy Grits – I like grits, but only recently. I have made grits before, but they are either too runny, too thick, flavorless or too salty. These turned out pretty well. The cheese and broccoli with the corn made a good combination.
I saw the recipe in Southern Living and I will post the original and then where I took the variation from. I used the Quick Cooking grits and will continue to do so until I find a way to be successful more than once!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (4-oz.) container light garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Bring 3 cups water and 1 tsp. salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually stir in grits.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Stir in corn, cheese, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Alouette Light Garlic & Herbs Spreadable Cheese.
Broccoli-Cheese Grits: Substitute 2 cups frozen broccoli florets and 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese for corn and garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese. Proceed with recipe as directed.