Coconut Oatmeal Cookies – So these cookies are now what I will judge all other cookies by. Sure, sure, I’ve had favorites before but this is my new standard. Every bite of every cookie of this entire batch (and the next one) we sheer perfection. Sweet, chewy, crisp edges, full of coconut and oatmeal and just…so flipping good.
This recipe does use coconut oil in place of butter but I’m sure you could swap unsalted butter for the coconut oil without any problems. I do find that cookies made with coconut oil don’t hold up as well. Usually by the second day they are already pretty crumbly. To combat this, I scoop out all of the cookie dough into dough balls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Then I freeze the whole sheet of cookie dough balls until they are pretty solid. Once they are frozen, I put all of the cookie dough balls into a zip-top freezer bag and write the instructions on the bag. Then I just pull out as many cookies as I need and bake them that way. You can bake them directly from the freezer, though they may take a few extra minutes, or you can let them thaw a little while you preheat the oven.
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (dairy free)
- 1 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1. Preheat the oven to 350° degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream together the coconut oil and both sugars until fluffy and well combined, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to the mixing bowl just until combined. Stir in shredded coconut and oatmeal.
4. Using a cooking scoop or two tablespoons, place dough balls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are just set and very lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
very slightly adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies