Cilantro-Lime Chickpea Salad – This was one of those very rare times that as soon as I saw this recipe posted that I HAD to make it right then. There are many times that I have gotten excited over a recipe and wanted to make it soon but I don’t actually run right out to make it at that moment. For this, though, I actually called James and asked him to stop while he was out to get an ingredient that I didn’t have. That is unheard of around here!
Let me tell you – making this immediately was the right decision. The lime and cilantro work so well with the chickpeas, it must be the tart of the lime against the texture of the chickpeas that made me really like it. This made for such a wonderfully unique side dish that I can’t wait to have it again.
Cilantro-Lime Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 4 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- juice of 4 limes
- 1 bunch of cilantro (about 1 loosely packed cup)
- 2-3 tbsp. sugar (start with 2)
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
1. Chop the spinach very finely and then add the chickpeas, onion, and spinach to a large bowl.
2. In the bowl of a food processor add the lime juice, cilantro, sugar, mustard, garlic, chili powder, and olive oil. Process until it comes together into a dressing, about 30-45 seconds.
3. Pour over the chickpea mixture and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste; also add more sugar and olive oil if necessary.
4. Let stand for at least10 minutes on the counter or in the fridge overnight.
from Heather’s Dish.