Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins – I knew that I wanted to bake today, but I had no idea what! I made cookies last weekend, a huge cake recently…ugh. What to do. And then delicious muffins popped into my head! And chocolate muffins, at that. I quickly Googled and found this recipe from Nigella. It is my first Nigella recipe. And it’s a keeper! The muffins didn’t get as chocolately in color as I would have liked, but that was probably something that I did wrong. 😉
Apparently, I didn’t fill my muffin tin enough, because I had quite a bit of leftover batter. So made another 14 mini muffins. Great for snacking! I filled the extra spaces in my mini muffin tin with water so that the muffins would bake evenly. These baked for only about 9 minutes.
I didn’t realize that I was out of powdered sugar because I would have dusted these little delicious muffins with it. Bummer! They would also be good with walnuts or pecans mixed in. Yum!!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
courtesy Nigella Lawson
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling (I forgot to sprinkle!)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Special equipment: muffin tin with paper muffin cases
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl.
3. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug.
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins.
5. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.