Chicken Tortilla Soup – It was a gloomy and cool day here today – perfect for soup! I’ve been wanting to make soup, but it’s been too warm. It was actually happy to see a rainy, cool day come along. I’ve had a recipe for Chicken Tortilla soup in my recipe book for a long time, so I thought this was a great opportunity to try it out.
I had to get a good handful of these ingredients from the grocery store – there were a lot of things that I don’t normally keep on hand, but it was worth it!!
I received this recipe for the Atlanta Recipe Swap on the Knot awhile ago. I found the same recipe on AllRecipes.com and made my adjustments from there. Enjoy!!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup white hominy (I had leftover chickpeas and used those up.)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (I roasted them at 425 for about 22 minutes.)
- crushed tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I had extra sharp cheddar and just used that.)
- chopped green onions
- chopped red onion
- lime juice
- sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 425. Drizzle chicken with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and a little chili powder.
2. Roast chicken for 22-25 minutes. When cooked, shred with two forks.
3. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
4. Saute onion, carrot and celery in oil until soft.
5. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
6. Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin. Coat vegetables.
7. Add tomatoes, broth, and water.
8. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, chopped green onion, red onion, lime juice and/or sour cream.