Chicken Pasta Casserole – I had no idea what to make for dinner on Friday night. I was tired, as usual, and had no motivation. I had a chicken breast that needed to be cooked. It was freezing cold here so I wanted something comforting and easy. I finally found this recipe after much searching, made some adaptions and ended up with a REALLY good dinner.
Chicken Pasta Casserole
- 8 ounces medium noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (Omitted.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon herb seasoning mixture or dried leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1 cup half and half, 1/2 cup fat free milk.)
- 1/2 shredded white cheddar – at least
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. pimento
- 1/4 cup dry white wine – or substitute more chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons green onions or freshly chopped parsley, optional
1. Cook noodles in boiling salted water just until tender. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; add mushrooms, onion, celery, and grated carrot. Cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir flour into the pan juices until smooth; add salt, pepper, and thyme. Gradually add milk and chicken broth.
4. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Add chicken, noodles, peas, pimentos and wine; simmer for 1 minute.
5. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish.
6. Combine the fine bread crumbs with butter then toss with green onions or parsley if desired.
7. Sprinkle buttered bread crumb mixture over the chicken noodle casserole.
8. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.