Chicken, Artichoke, Pesto Calzones – This was a great weeknight dinner, thanks to Annie!!
These flavors are some of my favorites, so I was sure that this would make for a delicious dinner. I can’t wait to try this again.
Oh, and this was the first time I’d made pesto at home and from basil grown in my garden! This is the first year I haven’t killed everything in the garden! There are even tiny tomatoes on my tomato plant! I am SO excited. 🙂
Chicken, Artichoke and Pesto Calzones
from Annie’s Eats
- 1/2 batch pizza dough, at room temperature
- Grilled chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Canned artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Tomatoes, diced
- Olive oil, for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2.Place a pizza stone in the oven and allow it to heat up, at least 30 minutes. (I didn’t do this.)
3. On a lightly floured work surface, divide the pizza dough into two (or more) equal pieces. 4. Stretch or roll out each piece into a circle, about 7-8 inches in diameter.
5. On one half of each dough round, spread a layer of pesto, leaving a half-inch border around the edge.
6. Top with grilled chicken pieces, artichokes, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
7. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the toppings and form a semi-circle.
8. Press the free edges of dough together to seal the filling inside.
9. Carefully transfer the finished calzones to the preheated pizza stone.
10. Brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
11. Bake until golden brown, about 13-15 minutes.