Carrot, Zucchini, & Potato Cakes – I saw this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens magazine and knew that I would enjoy these…even if they had zucchini in them!
Most of the time, I cannot bear to eat zucchini. That and eggplant. Ugh. I try to like it, I really do…but I just can’t.
I don’t mind raw zucchini, but as soon as it’s cooked it becomes a soggy, disgusting mess!
But alas, it was delicious in these. Perhaps because you couldn’t really taste the zucchini. 😉
Carrot, Zucchini and Potato Cakes
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat two small baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. Drain zucchini in a colander; press to squeeze out excess liquid. In large bowl combine zucchini, potatoes, carrot, flour, 1 of the eggs, thyme, salt, and pepper.
3. In extra-large nonstick skillet heat half of the oil over medium heat.
4. To make a pancake, spoon about 1-cup portion of potato mixture into skillet; evenly press and round edges with back of spatula to form a pancake.
5. Cook two pancakes at a time, 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown, turning once.
6. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and place in oven until all cakes are made. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.