Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake – James and I were having company from out of town and I knew I needed to have a dessert. I searched my Google Reader and found this recipe that I’d saved. I started drooling after looking at the pictures.
I wanted to make this cheesecake! But I hadn’t ever made a cheesecake before…I did, however, have a Springform pan. So I forged ahead. I gathered my ingredients and started baking. I made the cheesecake on Wednesday night for Friday night guests. I added the ganache on Friday morning and this plan worked well.
What didn’t work well was using a 9 inch pan when the recipe clearly called for a 10 inch pan. In my novice ways, I added all of the batter anyway, when I should have just added a little less. What resulted was a deformed cheesecake when I took it out of the oven!
But guess what?! It still tasted GREAT! Even for my first cheesecake. The brownie adds such great texture and the ganache…oh my goodness. So good! The cheesecake might sound like it would be ultra rich, but it’s really not. It’s decadent, don’t get me wrong, but the flavors and textures meld together so well, that it’s just a delicious treat. I have a pretty sensitive sweet tooth and it wasn’t aching after eating this. 😉
I was pretty bummed because none of the pictures really turned out and I took pictures twice…two different times of day, even! 🙁 Sadly, the photos do NOT do it justice.
Do try this. You won’t be sorry!
Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
For the Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil.
3. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high 2 min. or until butter is melted.
4. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix well.
5. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minute or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs (be careful not to over bake).
6. Cool in pan on wire rack. Remove brownies from pan, using foil handles.
7. Cool brownies, then cut them into 3/4- to 1-inch squares for use in the cheesecake. You will need about 2 cups. Just eat the extra…they are delish!
8. Add cubes to cake batter as directed below.
For the Crumb Crust
- 1 1/2 cups or 5 ounces finely ground Oreos, or other chocolate cookie
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Stir together ingredients and press into bottom and 1 inch up side of a buttered 10″ springform pan.
2. Fill right away or chill for up to 2 hours.
For the Cheesecake
- 3 (8-oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1.Make crumb crust as directed above for 10-inch cheesecake.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Beat together cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla, beating on low speed until each ingredient is incorporated and scraping down bowl between additions.
5. Fold brownie cubes in very gently and pour mixture into prepared pan.
6. Put springform pan with crust in a shallow baking pan.
7. Pour filling into crust and bake in baking pan (to catch drips) in middle of oven 45 minutes, or until cake is set 3 inches from edge but center is still slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken.
8. When completely cool, top with following glaze.
For the Ganache Glaze
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. Place finely chopped chocolate in a medium size mixing bowl.
2. Scald the butter and cream together in a saucepan (or in the microwave on high for 1 minute).
3. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
4. Whisk in vanilla and then whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.
5. Spread over cheesecake while ganache is still warm.
6. Chill the cheesecake until ready to serve.
Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake