Bread & Butter Refrigerator Pickles – I put refrigerator pickles on my 30 While 30 List because I thought that I would like the challenge, I wanted to be sure that I was staying true to cooking in season, and I like pickles. 🙂 First of all, I have a secret – these were not really challenging.
They were pretty easy and a lot of fun! Second of all, pickles are the perfect item for summer because Kirby cucumbers are in season and pickles pair perfectly with so many summer dishes. And as I said, I like pickles.
As soon as I saw these in the Summer Entertaining issue from Cook’s Illustrated I knew that I’d found my recipe. There have been very, very few recipes that I’ve made from the Cook’s Illustrated crew that haven’t been outstanding and these pickles are no different. They are so full of flavor, perfectly sweet with just a little tartness and nice & crisp. They are great on a burger or just as a snack.
Bread & Butter Refrigerator Pickles
- 1 lb. pickling cucumbers, Kirby or baby, sliced into ⅛ inch slices
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pickling spices or ½ tsp. yellow mustard seeds, ¼ tsp. celery seeds, ⅛ tsp. ground turmeric
1. In a colander combine cucumbers, onion, and salt and set over a bowl. Let stand for 1 hour and then discard the drained liquid.
2. In a large saucepan, add vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add cucumbers and onion and then press to submerge in the liquid. Cover and cook until cucumbers turn dull olive-brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfers cucumbers and liquid to large bowl and do not cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 2 weeks.