It astounds me that I haven’t blogged this recipe yet. As many times as I have made this recipe and as much as I love oats in general, I was shocked when I realized this wasn’t on the blog!
I have been making this tasty breakfast for over a year now. I think I ate it almost every weekday last winter. I would pile it into a large coffee mug that was probably really meant for soup, stick a spoon in it, drive the quarter mile to my school (yes, I drove everyday), pop it in the microwave after I unpacked all my teacher stuff and enjoy a hot breakfast before the kids walked into the room. It was so perfect and so easy to take with me everyday!
The sweet brown sugar, tart cranberries, and crunchy walnuts all make for the perfect combination. You can definitely change the ingredients up, use raisins instead of cranberries, or almonds instead of walnuts. This is one of the most comforting dishes of food and you get to enjoy it in the morning!
The recipe below makes 4-5 servings. I would usually double it so that I would have a larger batch. What? I was pregnant. 🙂
- 2 cups uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Combine oats through baking powder in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl combine milk through egg and whisk together.
4. Add milk mixture to oat mixture and stir well. Pour into prepared dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until set and top is lightly browned. Serve warm.