Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup – This meal comes to you for a very special reason. Amy of Amy’s Cooking Creations will soon be welcoming a new addition to her family!! While this is such an exciting time for any parent, meals can be one of those things that fall to the wayside while you are busy cuddling and learning all about your newborn. Slow cooker meals are great for this type of situation. Take 20 minutes (or so) and throw everything into the slow cooker before lunchtime and you’ll have a delicious meal that evening.
The only prep that this soup requires is to roast a poblano pepper. If you are crunched for time, you could leave it out, substitute with jarred roasted red peppers, or canned green chiles. If you have the time, however, the freshly roasted pepper really adds a great depth to this soup and roasting is mostly hands-off, too.
We definitely loved everything about this soup. It’s well balanced and full of flavor, great for a winter day.
I am so happy for Amy and her husband! If I could deliver this meal to them myself, I definitely would. 🙂 Big thanks to Carrie of Carrie’s Sweet Life for hosting this Blogging Baby Shower!
Slower Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasted Poblano pepper, chopped (directions below)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese
- red onion
- tortilla chips
1. Place oven rack in highest position and preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place pepper on prepared baking sheet. Broil pepper for 12-15 minutes, until bubbling and beginning to blacken. Carefully turn pepper over and continue to broil until pepper is nearly fully blackened, another 7-10 minutes, watching carefully. Remove pepper from oven and place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to steam for about 15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Peel and discard skin, stem, and seed. Dice pepper and set aside.
2. To the crock of a slow cooker, add chicken broth, roasted pepper, onion, garlic, Rotel, chipotles in adobo, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chicken breasts. Stir to combine and cover chicken breasts with soup mixture.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Add in corn and beans and continue to cook on low for 2-3 more hours. Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred, then return to the crock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Top individual soup servings with desired toppings.
adapted from So Tasty, So Yummy.