Double Chocolate Cupcakes – Really? Chocolate and chocolate? There really isn’t anything not to love about these. Soft, fluffy, chocolate cake topped with the best chocolate buttercream that I have ever tasted. Nothing wrong with that.
These started out from the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake from Cook’s Illustrated but I’m not really a lover of filled cupcakes, as those are filled with chocolate ganache. I just want all the cake, no additional frosting type thing needed. 🙂
I quickly searched for a chocolate buttercream recipe and landed on Martha Stewart’s website. I have to say, of all the chocolate buttercream that I have ever eaten, this one takes the cake (ha). It’s super chocolatey but without being overly sweet. It is perfection and I even ate some straight from the bowl which I hardly ever do because as you all know by now, the frosting is least favorite part of a cupcake. Delicious.
Double Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcake
For the cupcakes: 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (or bittersweet chocolate chips)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup hot, strong-brewed coffee
- ¾ cup bread flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour hot coffee over the mixture and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate (or place in freezer, stirring often) until cool to room temperature.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar together. Add the cooled chocolate to the egg mixture and stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to the chocolate and continue to stir until batter is smooth and well combined.
5. Divide batter evenly into prepared pan, filling each ¾ full.
6. Bake until cupcakes are set, 15-18 minutes, and a tester comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool in pans for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the buttercream:
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 12 tbsp.(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle or whisk attachment, combine the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the butter, milk, vanilla, and salt and beat on a low speed to combine. Once combined, turn speed to medium and mix until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.
Double Chocolate Cupcakes