Cheesy Cauliflower Puree – I’m not even going to say that these are “as good as mashed potatoes” because what can really compare to buttery, creamy mashed potatoes? Nothing. But I will say that they are a close, close second. They are creamy, cheesy, and velvety and those are all things that I look for in mashed potatoes.
You will still taste the cauliflower but it takes on a new form that is definitely welcome ’round these parts. Side dishes are still something that I’m constantly searching for.
The method of cooking these in the microwave with just a small amount of liquid is what really gives them the consistency that I was looking for and most resembles mashed potatoes. They are filling and quick and simple. Definitely worth a try!
Cheesy Cauliflower Puree
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ~⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ~2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Clean and trim cauliflower, cutting into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with ⅓ cup of cream and 1 tablespoon of butter.
2. Microwave, uncovered, on high for five minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another 4 minutes on high and test for doneness (a fork should insert and come out easily), if not cooked enough, return to microwave for 2-4 more minutes.
3. Remove from the microwave and place mixture into a blender, food processor or use an immersion blender and combine with the rest of the butter and the cheese. Puree until smooth or to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the cream and butter to preference.
from I Breathe…I’m Hungry.