Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos – These delicious bundles of joy were all the rage many months ago and while we did enjoy them during that time, I somehow never took a picture of them, therefore never blogged about them!
I’ve had taquitos from the freezer section of the grocery store before, but that was a long time ago. I don’t think that I’ve ever ordered them at a restaurant, always opting for enchiladas instead. So really, I wasn’t sure what to expect from the homemade version.
Well duh, I should have expected a delicious, creamy, and flavorful bite from these crunchy guys!! I’m not sure how you can go wrong with cream cheese, chicken, and salsa. Those are all delicious on there own and when mixed with cilantro, lime, and black beans, they become a meal that you surely won’t soon forget.
I used flour tortillas because we are not fans of corn tortillas except in the form of a crunchy taco shell, but feel free to use either. Corn tortillas are going to be a little trickier to roll up without cracking so definitely utilize your microwave and a damp paper towel to soften them.
**Also, I shredded the chicken using my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and since I already had the chicken in a large bowl, I went ahead and added the cream cheese, salsa, spices, lime juice, and cilantro. The chicken definitely gets more broken up but I actually liked that better than larger shredded chicken. I stirred the remaining ingredients in by hand.
Served with cilantro-lime rice and a side of refried beans, you will have a winner of a dinner on your hands.
Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- ⅓ cup (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus more to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- ~12 small corn or flour tortillas
- Kosher salt
- cooking spray
**Note: I shredded the chicken using my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and since I already had the chicken in a large bowl, I went ahead and added the cream cheese, salsa, spices, lime juice, and cilantro. The chicken definitely gets more broken up but I actually liked that better than larger shredded chicken. I stirred the remaining ingredients in by hand.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. **See note or Combine cream cheese with the salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, green onions, and chicken in a large bowl. Stir well to combine. Add black bean and cheeses and stir again. Season to taste with salt and additional cilantro and/or lime juice.
3. Place 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about ½-inch from the edges and roll as tightly as possible. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Lay all of the prepared taquitos on the baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle kosher salt on top.
4. Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to become golden brown. Makes about 12 taquitos.