Easy Microwave Popcorn – Popcorn is definitely a favorite snack of ours to have while catching up on our DVR or watching a movie. I used to only buy microwave popcorn that came in the cellophane wrapper and was loaded with butter, salt, and who knows what else.
Then one day, James came home saying that someone at work made popcorn in the microwave with just popcorn kernels and a paper lunch sack! I’m sure my jaw hit the floor. How could that possibly work? There was no oil, no cellophane wrapper…there was just no way. But I had to give it a try and lo and behold, what do you know, perfectly popped popcorn!
While I think that plain popcorn is kind of…gross, I do love knowing exactly what’s in my snack. I always add butter and salt (popcorn salt!) but you can spice up popcorn anyway that you like it. Spicy, sweet, tart…pretty much anything goes.
This recipe makes enough for one large bowl, about two servings. If you put too many kernels in the bag, they won’t all pop and you’ll be left with a lot of wasted kernels. If you want or need more than two servings, make the popcorn in batches. Also, you can use regular salt here but now that I’ve found popcorn salt, which is pretty much a powder, I’m never going back. 🙂
Easy Microwave Popcorn
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 lunch sack/paper bag
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (optional)
- popcorn salt, to taste (optional)
1. Place popcorn kernels into the bag (they should cover the bottom of the bag). Fold bag over in ½-inch increments, twice.
2. Place in microwave and set for 3 minutes or use popcorn button, if available. Listen carefully for kernels to stop popping. As soon as the popping stops, take the bag out of the microwave. For this amount of popcorn, it should take between 2-3 minutes to fully pop without burning.
3. Place popcorn into bowl and season as desired.
adapted from family friend.