Southwestern Egg & Black Bean Skillet – This is one of those dinners that I was excited to try but a little nervous about at the same time. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, if we would like it, how black beans and eggs were going to taste together…so on and so forth.
But surprise! We loved it! It was so nice to have a little change in our dinner routine; from the normal meat, potatoes, and vegetables program to something out of the ordinary for us.
The combination of creamy egg, spicy tomato and chili mixture, and savory beans makes for a complex meal that came together very quickly. From this meal, I can see making this in a variety of ways. My mind is already racing…
Southwestern Egg & Black Bean Skillet
adapted from Erica’s Kitchen Adventures, originally from Cara’s Cravings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilis
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Pinch coriander
- 4 large eggs
- butter, for pan
- shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- red onion, minced
- sour cream
- parsley, roughly chopped
1. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
2. Add garlic, beans, and corn. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add in cumin, chili powder, and coriander. Stir well.
3. Add tomatoes and turn heat up to medium high. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Remove cover and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, until liquid has almost fully evaporated. Cover top of mixture with Monterrey Jack cheese and let melt.
5. Meanwhile, heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter to coat. Cooks egg over easy or over medium, to preference. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon bean mixture onto plates, top with 2 eggs, and desired toppings. Great with warm, crusty bread.