Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Filling – I love whoopie pies for so many reasons. They are cute. They are portable. They are fun to bake. They can be made in several sizes. They have numerous flavor possibilities. And best of all, they are delicious!
James took most of the first batch of whoopie pies to work and ever since, people have been asking for more. He switched teams so there is a whole new batch of people that hadn’t had whoopie pies yet! Perfect opportunity to make these.
After much internal deliberation, I went with chocolate and peanut butter whoopie pies because so many people love that combination. These definitely live up to all that they have been built up to be. There is the perfect amount of chocolate to peanut butter. I could eat these all day long. Hence them being sent with James!
I can’t wait to find more (and more) reasons to make these little gems.
Chocolate Whoopie Pie with Peanut Butter Filling
For the cakes:
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 7.5 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- pinch Kosher salt
To make the cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the egg to the butter mixture and mix well.
5. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla.
6. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture in 3 additions until combined.
7. Transfer batter to a piping bag and pipe 2-4 inch circles about 2 inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on baking sheets and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, and butter together until fluffy. Add in the marshmallow fluff. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar and salt. Mix until combined.
2. Fill a piping bag with the filling and use to frost the cakes.
Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Filling