S’mores Cupcakes -While I was on my “hiatus”, s’mores cupcakes popped up all over the food blogging world. I marked several of the recipes in myGoogle Reader, bought marshmallow fluff and graham crackers weeks ago and finally tackled the recipes. They were all basically the same and went with the same concept.
I used this one for the general directions a nd graham cracker base. I used Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake (as usual) and this recipe for the marshmallow buttercream. This buttercream recipe produced just enough icing for the 30 cupcakes. Graham crackers on the bottom, chocolate cake, marshmallow buttercream. Delicious!
While there are several steps to these cupcakes, the end result is definitely worth it. The graham cracker crust took a chocolate cupcake that I normally love to a whole new level. It added such a great flavor and texture to your everyday cupcake! And from a girl who doesn’t care for buttercream, this one is an exception!! It’s light and airy and perfectly, sticky sweet. Enjoy!
Adapted from: Proceed with Caution
For the graham crust:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 – 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil – I substituted 1/4 cup applesauce.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper liners.
2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar,graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon of graham cracker mix into the bottom of each muffin cup. Press crumbs firmly, using the bottom of a small glass. Save the remaining mixture for topping. Top graham cracker mix with several bittersweet chocolate chips.
3. Bake graham mixture for about five minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
5. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
6. Add flour mixture to large bowl and beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter (about 1/4 cup). Sprinkle batter with small amount of remaining graham cracker mixture.
7. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely, then frost.
For the buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine butter and Marshmallow Fluff.
2. Beat until smooth and creamy.
3. Reduce speed and slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
4. Beat the mixture until soft and fluffy.