Almond Joy Cupcakes – When I saw these on Cook Like A Champion, I knew right away that I had to make them! Chocolate, almond and coconut…how could I go wrong?!
These were delicious!! They were very rich with the ganache topping, but still wonderful. I used Hershey’s Chocolate Cake for the cupcakes. The only issue I had when that the top of the cupcakes were very sticky and it made it difficult to cut out a cone to fill the cupcakes with the coconut mixture. They turned out fine, but I will try a different cupcake recipe next time. Perhaps the one that is originally listed. 😉
I took these to work and people said that they liked them. I do always forget, though, how many people do not like coconut. Personal preference, I guess.
Almond Joy Cupcakes
from Cook Like A Champion
For Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
For coconut cream cheese filling:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (I forgot to buy this when I went grocery shopping, so I used almond extract instead. It was good, but I would definitely go with coconut extract next time.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.
3. Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.
4. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.
5. Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin. 6. Fold in the shredded coconut.
For chocolate ganache:
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1. In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.
2. Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.
3.You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.