Pretzel Cookies – As soon as I saw these pretzel cookies in my Everyday Food magazine, I knew I would make them this year. This is a really, really good sugar cookie (or all in one dough) recipe.
The dough was easy to whip up and then I chilled them before putting them in the oven.
I didn’t have sanding sugar, so I sprinkled some with coconut, some with more regular sugar and some with leftover mint chips. I had fun shaping them into pretzels. And with our new countertops, the dough stayed chilled for so much longer. Yay!!
Enjoy these cute cookies!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
2. Add yolks, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
3. Add vanilla.
4. With mixer on low, add flour; mix just until combined.
5. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm, about 1 hour.
6. To make ahead: Refrigerate up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 3 months.
7. Shape into pretzels with these directions.
8. After forming cookies, place on parchment paper, 1 inch apart.
9. Bake until pale golden, 13-15 minutes, rotating sheets half-way through.