Rontini – So, as this summer has typically gone, I had no idea what to make for dinner. With so much Cooking for One, I haven’t really been cooking!
My big plan was to make Crash Hot Potatoes and to have chicken. What kind of chicken, I had no idea. The potatoes were to be the star! I was so excited. Until I pulled the potatoes out of the pantry. And then they were no good. I can’t tell you the last time I had to throw away potatoes! That’s how little I’ve been cooking. 🙁 I was bummed.
So on to plan B (C?). I looked in the pantry and as always, I had lots of pasta. So I pulled out whole wheat rotini. I had the chicken thawed. I also grabbed a small can of diced tomatoes. I got out an onion and garlic then went to the fridge where I retrieved a carrot, parsley, parmesan and chicken stock. Here goes nothin’!
I boiled the pasta. Cooked the chicken, then the carrots and onions. Added the garlic and tomatoes (no juice) and then added chicken stock. I salt and peppered. I threw in the cooked pasta, added the parsley and the cheese and chowed down. And it was good!!! So for once, I threw something together with no recipe. And it was fun. 🙂 I don’t think I will take this up as a new hobby, though. I’m just not that creative. Recipes help me at least get started. So it was a good night!
Here is the somewhat recipe.
- 1/3 box whole wheat rotini
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onions, halved and then sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can diced tomato, juice drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente.
2. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add chicken and cook through. Remove and set aside.
3. Add onion and carrot. Cook about 6-7 minutes. Salt and pepper.
4. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes.
6. Stir together.
7. Add chicken stock and let simmer for 5 or so minutes.
8. Add pasta and chicken. Stir to combine.
9. Add parsley and cheese.
10. Serve and enjoy!