California BLT’s – Yum! BLT’s are one of my all time favorite sandwiches. When I was looking for recipes for the week, I came across this recipe in my Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. It’s a BLT with avocado! I didn’t know you could make a BLT any better than it already was, but avocado – yum. We had these for lunch today. So good!
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 12 thick-cut slices smoked bacon
- 8 slices good white bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise (recommended: Hellman’s)
- 4 to 8 tender green lettuce leaves, washed and spun very dry
- 2 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place a baking wire rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer. 3. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. (I forgot to put a rack on and I just cooked it on the sheet. I cooked the bacon for about 10 minutes and it was very crispy.)
3. Place the bread slices on a sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes. Turn the slices and toast for 1 more minute, until all the bread is evenly browned. Place 2 slices on a cutting board.
4. Spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
5. Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce.
6. Peel the avocado and slice it 1/2-inch thick.
7. Toss the avocado slices gently with the lemon juice, and arrange on top of the lettuce leaves. 8. Place 3 slices of bacon on top of each sandwich and then add a layer of tomato slices on top of the bacon.
9. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
10. Spread each of the remaining 2 slices of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and place, mayonnaise side down, on the sandwiches.
11. Cut in half and serve.