I found this recipe in my Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. Not one of these recipes has failed me – this one included! The only changes I made were to use ziti (it’s what I hard) and to use spinach instead of arugula. The sauce was so yummy – and no butter! This was a great for a warm summer evening. 🙂
The cookbook version does not include broccolli, but every online recipe I looked for did. I did not include the broccolli, but it would be a delicious addition!
This is NOT my picture!! This picture is from Food Network. Absolutely NONE of my pictures came out. Grrr…
Lemon Ziti with Spinach
taken from Barefoot Contessa at Home
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 lemons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried fusilli pasta
- 1/2 pound baby arugula (or 2 bunches of common arugula, leaves cut in thirds)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds.
2. Add the cream, the zest from 2 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta, and cook according to the directions on the package, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Drain the pasta in a colander and place it back into the pot.
6. Immediately add the cream mixture and cook it over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until most of the sauce has been absorbed in the pasta.
7. Pour the hot pasta into a large bowl, add the arugula, Parmesan, and tomatoes.
8. Cut the last lemon in half lengthwise, slice it 1/4-inch thick crosswise, and add it to the pasta. 9. Toss well, season to taste, and serve hot.