I really love keeping our freezer stocked with muffins for a quick breakfast or to grab a snack when hunger strikes. Jack definitely loves muffins and I don't think that Will is far behind in his love for them, either, so any time that I can incorporate whole grains, I count that as a win, especially if they are to start off the day.
These are a little bit more on the indulgent side because they have chocolate chips mixed in but you could leave them out if you wish. Although, dark chocolate and banana is a favorite combination around here. ;) I adapted Mel's original recipe to make it dairy free by using coconut milk in place of yogurt, but I can't wait to try it with yogurt when we are back to eating dairy.
Whole Grain Banana Chocolate Chips
just slightly adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
2 bananas, peeled and mashed
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup light coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners then lightly grease the liners with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, brown sugar, coconut milk, vanilla, egg, and applesauce.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. being careful not to overmix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter evenly between muffin tins and bake for 16-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out mostly clean. 6. Allow muffins to cool in tin for about 5 minutes then remove the muffins to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container or freeze in a zip-top bag.