I subbed part canola (or vegetable) oil and applesauce for the melted butter and I thought the texture remained perfectly muffin-like. This recipe makes exactly 12 regular sized muffins so if you want a larger batch, definitely double it. I freeze muffins all the time and they reheat from the freezer really well.
Banana Coconut Blueberry Muffins (dairy free)
1¼ cups all-purpose flour + 1 tsp. for blueberries
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (¾ cup)
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
⅔ cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup blueberries, washed and dried well
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, oil, applesauce, sugar, egg, vanilla, and ½ cup coconut. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture with a rubber spatula until flour is just moistened. Toss blueberries with remaining flour and very gently fold into batter.
4. Divide batter among prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup coconut.
5. Bake until muffins are golden and a tester comes out mostly clean, 20-25 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
adapted from Epicurious