This is one of those meals that I want to tell you to run right out and make it! Especially before winter is over. It's warm, comforting, creamy, cheesy, carb-y deliciousness. Yes, I used all of those over-used words. Between the chicken, ham, vegetables, and cream sauce, I'm not really sure how you can go wrong. And then serve it in a bread bowl? That sounds like a win to me.
Let me tell you how this dinner went here. When we sat down to eat, we both took a bite, looked up at each other and with a mouthful of food, said, "This is so good!". We then proceeded to eat without talking to one another. When there's no talking, that's the sign of a good meal. :)
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bread Bowls
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
4 tbsp. butter
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1/2 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tbsp. flour
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Pinch dried thyme
2-3 cups broccoli florets
Kosher salt and black pepper
4-6 medium round bread bowls
8-10 slices deli ham
8-10 slices Swiss cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Use preferred method to cook broccoli until it retains some crunch. It will continue to cook in the oven.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and stir constantly to cook flour. Slowly add the chicken stock and continue to stir. Add in cream, Parmesan cheese, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, and thyme. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, until thickened. Add in chicken and broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
4. Hollow out the bread bowls, leaving about a 1/4 inch all the insides. Place the bread bowls on the prepared baking sheet and bake in oven for 5 minutes, until lightly toasted.
5. Remove bread bowls from oven and divide filling among the bread bowls. Top with Swiss cheese. Bake in oven until cheese melts, 10-15 minutes.