Feb 7, 2011
I'm sure that everyone has a zucchini bread recipe that they love. I put this in the same boat as banana bread in that regard, but truly, this recipe makes moist, flavorful, perfectly spiced zucchini bread that even a self-proclaimed zucchini hater loves.
The recipe calls for the bread to be mixed by hand, which I did, but you could use a mixer. I think that mixing it by hand is creates a lighter crumb and it's also a good workout! The recipes states that it will yield 2 9-inch loaves. I have only 1 9-inch pan so I used a 9-inch and an 8-inch loaf pan and that worked fine. I baked the 8-inch about 5 minutes less than the 9-inch pan.
yields 2 (8 or 9-inch) loaves
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 cup zucchini, ends chopped off and grated (about 4 medium zucchini)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour loaf pans and set aside.
2.In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. add in the sugar and oil and stir well to combine.
3. In another bowl, sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture in batches and stir well.
5. Mix in zucchini until just combined. Stir in vanilla, raisins, and nuts , if using.
6. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 40-65 minutes, depending on size of loaf pan. Tester should come out with only a few crumbs attached.