I used Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake, as I usually do for chocolate cake. It always turns out moist and tender and perfectly chocolatey, as the title would suggest. I also used my stand-by vanilla buttercream and added caramel sauce to it. I cannot wait to make these again and find more uses for caramel sauce!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla-Salted Caramel Buttercream
Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake
For the cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
4. Add flour mixture to large bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.
6. Bake 20 to 24 minutes. Cool completely.
For the buttercream:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 ¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons caramel sauce
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.
3. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla, caramel sauce, and heavy cream. Beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.