Although I do love pizza, I am not one that craves it often. But when I do, I don't want just any old pizza. I want toppings upon toppings, delicious gooey cheese and a great crust. I have my favorite local place but I also really like California Pizza Kitchen. I like that they have lots of different variations of your standard pizza.
Of course, the first time I ate there (in college), I had BBQ Chicken Pizza! It's so good!! Now that I can make my own pizza at home, I thought that I would give it a try.
No joke. This turned out just as good as any CPK pizza that I've had!! I don't order the BBQ Chicken Pizza there anymore, there are too many other items to try, but at least now I know I can make this on my own when I crave it!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 recipe pizza dough
2 medium onions, halved and sliced into half moons
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2-1 cup BBQ sauce, your favorite (I used Williamson Brothers.)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella, or cheese of your choice
basil, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll out dough to desired size and shape.
3. Place on pizza pan and bake for 6 minutes. (This will help it not to get soggy.)
4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions. Salt & pepper to taste. Cook until onions are soft and beginning to brown, 7-8 minutes.
5. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add chicken. Season with salt & pepper and cook through, about 5 minutes.
7. Add 1/4 c. BBQ and stir to coat. Remove from heat.
8. After removing the pre-baked pizza crust from the oven, add BBQ to taste. Top with onions and cheese.
9. Place back into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until crust is brown and cheese is melted.
10. Garnish with basil.