I watched Ina Garten make this on a fairly recent episode Barefoot Contessa and knew right away that I wanted to try it. I really like cornbread but don't make it too often. I thought the combination of cheddar and dill was interesting, so I whipped it up and I am so glad that I did! I ended up eating it for breakfast for part of a week!! ;)
The only thing I changed was to make half of the recipe. The full recipe is below. I did bake it in a smaller pan and for about 20 minutes. It worked out just fine! The next time that I make this I might actually add more dill...but I really like dill, so that's just me.
Ina Garten's Cheddar Dill Cornbread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1 cup minced fresh dill
1. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2. In separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix!
3. Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the dill, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.