This was probably the easiest soup I've ever made. And one of the tastiest! I actually made it as soon as I got home from school and ate it right up!!
I'm not usually a huge fan of sausage in general, but it definitely worked well in this soup.
I used Trader Joe's Tomato Basil sauce and it paired very nicely! Any changes are noted in red. In a way, I hope your weather allows you to enjoy this soup!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Sausage
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 lb Italian Sausage
10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (stacked, rolled and thinly sliced)
1 26 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce or homemade sauce
1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, partially drained
1 Cup water
1 1/2 Cups half and half
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Place olive oil and onion into a medium sized dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic.
3. Stir in basil leaves, pasta sauce, tomatoes, water, half and half, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until warm then reduce heat to low.
5. Simmer until ready to serve.