I've had this recipe for awhile and hadn't made it, so after a long day of shopping last weekend, this was the perfect thing to throw together. I wasn't sure how it would be, I was afraid it was going to be flavorless. But I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out! Don't forget the mayo though, that was key. I forgot it the first time around!!
Chicken Cheesesteaks with Peppers
1 pound chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 mixed bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
4 soft hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, without turning, until chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Transfer to a cutting board (reserve baking sheet); let cool, and thinly slice. Set chicken aside. 3. On baking sheet, toss together peppers, onion, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil. Broil, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender and slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
4. Add chicken to broiled vegetables; toss, and spread in a single layer.
5. Top chicken and vegetables with cheese; broil until cheese is bubbling, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
6. Scoop out most of the doughy center from both halves of rolls; discard.
7. Spread rolls with mayonnaise; fill with chicken and vegetables.
8. Serve immediately.