I used this recipe as an inspiration but made quite a few changes. Isn't that a cute decoration on the pot pie? I tried my hand at it and you will see the creation below! Not quite as artistic!
Chicken Pot Pie
1 large chicken breast, roasted and then shredded
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 small carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/2 c. cooked potato, diced
1 heaping tbsp. flour
1/2 c. milk
1 egg, mixed with 1 tbsp water
salt and pepper, to season
1 tsp. poultry season
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat a saute pan over medium high heat with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp. butter.
3. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until softened.
4. Add flour and butter, if needed. Let flour cook.
5. Add milk and 1/2 c. chicken stock. Stir to combine.
6. Add remaining vegetables. Stir.
7. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
8. Add chicken.
9. Put all ingredients into casserole dish.
10. Cover with puff pastry. Crimp edges so that it is secure.
11. Brush with egg wash. Cut slits in puff pastry.
12. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
13. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Growing up, chicken pot pie was always served over white rice, so that is how we had it tonight! (And with applesauce!)